Everything You Need to Know About Performance Fabrics for Your Furniture (Guide)
Whether it's a spilled glass of red wine or mud from your pup's paws, dealing with upholstery stains on your furniture can be a hassle. Unless your furniture is made with performance fabrics.
At Domaine Furnishings, we're proud to carry sofas, ottomans, dining room chairs, benches, and other quality upholstery pieces made with performance fabrics to make your life easier without sacrificing style.
What Are Performance Fabrics?
Performance fabrics (also sometimes referred to as high-performance fabrics) are a type of durable upholstery material specifically designed to resist stains, water, and unpleasant odors. Many performance fabrics on the market now also have antimicrobial properties ideal for furniture items that see a lot of heavy use. Performance fabrics are also easy to clean—making them an excellent solution for high-traffic areas of the home.
Shown above: Stain-resistant, pet friendly sofa upholstered with performance fabric
Common Types of Performance Fabric
There are many different types of performance fabric – most of them are comprised of synthetic yarn that has been treated with a special solution before the individual threads are woven. This solution helps the material repel stains, wick away moisture, and withstand just about whatever you throw at it without permanent damage.
Some of the most common types of performance fabrics used in furniture include:
- Nylon – This material has elastic properties while being resistant to shrinkage over time, making it an ideal material for things like upholstered dining chairs, sofas, and loveseats. Nylon is also resistant to stains and water damage (including mildew and mold).
- Polyester – This fabric is naturally resistant to abrasion, stretching, and shrinkage—yet it remains soft and comfortable to the touch. Polyester is also quick-drying, making everyday cleaning and stain removal a breeze.
- Acrylic – This material is often used as an alternative to wool because it has a similar look and feel but is much easier to clean and naturally resistant to water. Acrylic can also be woven with other fibers, making it a versatile option for many furniture pieces.
Shown above: Water-resistant performance fabric
There are also several brands that use specialized treatments for their performance fabrics to ensure they last. Some of these brands include:
- Crypton Fabric – Crypton fabrics mesh durability and strength with luxury, so your fabric lasts. This type of fabric is made to be resistant to a wide variety of issues, like staining, through its weaving process. They are also environmentally conscious with everything they create.
- Sunbrella – Sunbrella boasts a collection of fabrics that are color-stabilized and aren’t just a surface finish. They weave each fiber with their technology to ensure the longevity of color and stain resistance.
- Teflon – A long-standing brand in protection products, Teflon fabric treatments offer a sustainable way to protect your fabrics from stains, rain, and other potential spills without sacrificing the life or color of your fabrics.
The great thing about choosing furniture made with performance fabric is that it comes in almost every color, pattern, texture, and style option you can imagine. Whether you're looking for a bold and eye-catching pattern or something more traditional, you can find a performance fabric to suit your tastes at Domaine.
Caring for Performance Fabrics
The specific care instructions for performance fabrics vary depending on the fabric you're dealing with. Generally, it's best to defer to the care instructions provided by your furniture manufacturer. However, many performance fabrics require minimal cleaning and maintenance. Stains and discoloration can be handled by first blotting the affected area to remove any excess soiling. From there, a solution of mild dish soap and warm water can be used to remove stains from performance fabric gently.
When cleaning or removing stains from performance fabric, avoid using harsh scrubbing motions or scrub brushes, which could damage the fibers. Likewise, avoid bleach or cleaners containing bleach, as these can discolor dyed fabrics.
Shop Our Selection at Domaine Furnishings
Whether you have children and pets at home or are simply looking for a low-maintenance material for your next furniture piece, performance fabrics like polyester, nylon, and acrylic can make your life a little easier.
At Domaine Furnishings, we carry an extensive range of sofas, love seats, sectionals, and other upholstered pieces made from the highest quality performance fabrics. From sleek and modern styles to more traditional and contemporary, you'll find exactly what you're looking for.
Need additional assistance pulling your room together? We offer complete interior design services as well! Get in touch with our team today to request your consultation and turn your design dreams into a reality.